Absentee Ballots

General Information for Absentee Ballots
Absentee Ballot Application
Family Member may apply for Absentee Ballots of any Household Member

Absentee ballots are available 3 weeks before an election. No ballot may be picked-up by hand: all absentee ballots must be mailed to the voter.  However, if the ballots are in, you may vote in person at the Town Clerk's Office.

Who is eligible for an absentee ballot?

Voters who are unable to vote on Election Day because of physical disability, religious beliefs or absence from the town may vote by absentee ballot. If you will be absent from Sterling for an extended period of time, you may submit a single application for all elections that calendar year. Please contact the Town Clerk for more details on obtaining a ballot.  

Where do I get an Application Form?

Applications for Absentee Ballots may be obtained from the Town Clerk or the Office of the Secretary of State. Applications may be submitted in person, my email, by fax or by mail.  A family member may submit an application for another member residing at the same residence.  All applications are signed under the pains and penalties of perjury.


12 NOON ON THE DAY BEFORE the election, you may vote in person by Absentee ballot at the Town Clerk's Office. All Absentee ballots may be dropped off at Town Hall or mailed to the Town Clerk (post- marked election day) to be counted.

What about voting for Military or US citizens overseas?

All Americans who are serving our country overseas or out of state are eligible to vote. Please click here for details.

What if I have a permanent disability?

A voter who is permanently disabled may submit one application valid for the entire calendar year.  If such a voter submits a note from a registered physician indicating that they are disabled permanently, the Town Clerk will automatically send the application for a ballot.
What if I am in a hospital before an election? A voter who is admitted to a health care facility after noon of the 5th day prior to an election may apply for an absentee ballot.  Please contact the Town Clerk.