Business Certificates

Massachusetts General Law Ch 110:5, requires that any person conducting business under any business name (other than the real name of the person conducting the business) must file a Doing Business As (DBA) certificate with the Town Clerk’s office. A person, in this case, is defined as an individual, a partnership or a corporation. Cost is $60 payable to the Town of Sterling. It is renewable every 4 years.

Exemptions to filing are allowed if the corporation is doing business in its true corporate name, or if a partnership is doing business under any title that includes the surname of any partner. Other exemptions exist for trust and limited partnerships.

To register your business, you should complete the DBA Application Form and return it to the Town Clerk's office with a filing fee. You must also notify the Town Clerk of any changes to your business name or location using the DBA Change Form. Penalties may be imposed for businesses that fail to comply with this law. 

NOTE: If you will be operating your business out of your home, you must complete the Home Occupation Application for DBA form and submit it to the Zoning Enforcement Officer/Building Inspector for approval. This is required by Sterling's Protective (Zoning) Bylaws, Article 4, Section 4.1 Home Occupations. Once the Building Inspector approves, both the Home Occupation Application for DBA form and the DBA Application form must be returned to the Town Clerk, with the appropriate fee to be filed.

Review the "DBA Frequently Asked Questions" or call the Town Clerk's Office for more information.